Complete Guide of Sundarban National Park –
Here’s a complete travel guide to this one of its sundarbans national park in West Bengal.
Location of Scenic Sundarbans
Sundarban National Park is around 113 km from the “city of joy” Kolkata and if you travel by car, the roads will lead you to Godkhali (almost 3 hour’s drive). Traversing rural villages into this popular destination where the mangrove forests are found in abundance, which by the way is famed for being the largest mangroves in the world can be witnessed only in the Sundarban Tiger Reserve.
How Can We Get There?
However, the question of how to reach Sundarban paradise can be resolved by saying it is only accessible via boat to Godhkhali island, which is considered to be the entrance to the national park. As a matter of fact, this island is where you can get the entry tickets for the park which are Rs 150 for Indians and 500 for foreigners.
Best Time to Visit Sundarbans
To make your visit memorable, the best time to visit the Sundarban National Park is during the winter seasonal months from November to March.
Boat Safari Timings
7:30am to 4:30pm. No boat is allowed after 6:00 pm at Sundarbans.
Where to Stay in Sundarban?
Being an eco-friendly place in India, you can find simple accommodation options rather than luxury ones with a complete village and wildlife feel. And in order to find standard budget hotels, the largest island of Sundarban, Gosaba is the place to go. There are also a number of jungle camps and tourist lodges in Sundarban National Park that offer comfortable stay amid nature and the wild.
Some of the best places to stay in Sundarbans are –
- Sundarban Riverside Holiday resort
- Sundarbans Wild Camp
- Jhor e Jungle e
- Sundarban Residency –
- Tiger Roar Resort
- Sundarban Riverside Holiday
Here are some of the best places to explore and top things to do when visiting Sundarbans National Park:
Places For Sundarban Photography tour
In our Sundarban Package Tour, we have included all the exclusive corners of Sundarban that will make your Sundarban tour worth it. Some of the places that we have included in our Sundarban Package tour are:
- Sundarban National Park : Sundarban National Park is one of the primary attractions of the Sundarban tour package. It serves as a Tiger reserve and biosphere reserve. Apart from the Royal Bengal Tiger, it also homes to numerous endangered species such as estuarine crocodiles as well as the famous endangered endemic waterbody terrapin (Batagur baska).
- Dobanki Watchtower : Dobanki Watchtower is one of the most preferred spots in Sundarban package tour for spotting the majestic felines. It is a part of the Dobanki camp located inside the Sundarbans Tiger Reserve.
- Sundarban Tiger Reserve : Lying adjacent to Bangladesh’s Sundarban Reserve Forest, the Sundarban Tiger Reserve is the primary attraction of the Sundarban tour package. It is one out of the first nine tiger reserves that was incepted during the 1973 Project Tiger scheme.
- NetiDhopani Tower : Neti Dhopani is at a 4 hours distance from Sajnekhali. The NetiDhopani tower is a famous watch tower of Sundarban. The tower can accommodate up to 20 people at a time.
- Sajnekhali Watchtower : Situated amidst the lush green of the Sundarban forest, adjacent to the river junction, Gamudi and Malta. It is a heaven for birdwatching and nature admirers.
- Jhingamari Watchtower : Jhingamari is one of the hidden gems of Sundarban. The Jhingamari watch tower is located at Basirhat range of Sundarban. Being a least visited place, you can still enjoy the rural folk vibe of Sundarban at Jhingamari watch tower.
- Sudhanyakhali Watchtower : At a distance of 43 km from Canning lies the ideal spot for nature lovers. To reach Sudhanyakhali, you will need to travel through the narrow creeks of Gajikhali forest Island, Sarakhkhali and Sudhanokhali rivers, and Pirkhali.
- Bonnie Camp Watchtower : Bonnie Camp watchtower is a 50ft high watchtower located inside Bonnie Camp. It is the highest watchtower in Sundarban. Near to it is a pond, which is a favourite drinking spot for the local wildlife.
- Bhagabatpur Crocodile Park : The Bhagabatpur Crocodile Park is the one and only crocodile park in West Bengal. It is an exclusive spots among the best places to visit in Sundarban.
- Jharkhali : Jharkhali is one of the villages of Sundarban that falls under the jurisdiction of Basanti police station. It homes to a tiger rescue center where the canines that ventured into human habitat are kept till being released in the wild again.
- Burir Dabri : The walk to the Burir Dabri watchtower is enthralling. You will drive through a cage made of mangrove forest. The mangrove cage trail will lead you to the infamous Raimongal View Point.
Useful Information & Quick Facts on Sundarban Tiger Reserve
|Sundarban Biosphere Reserve||Facts|
|Area||10,000sq km of Land and Water|
|Value||UNESCO World Heritage Site (1987)|
|Location||Between India and Bangladesh at the mouth of the Ganga and Brahmaputra rivers.|
|Unique Fact||Richest Mangrove Forest in the World (78 species of Mangroves)|
|Why it is Popular||For exotic wildlife species and faunal species.|
|Popular Flora of Sundarbans||Hargoja, Jat Baine, Son Champa,Kankra, Sundari, Tora, Khalsi, Hoya, Goria, Hental and Genwa etc.|
|Popular Fauna of Sundarbans||Royal Bengal tiger, Fishing Cat, Spotted Deer, Wild Boar, The fiddler Crab, Crocodiles, Reptiles, Marine Turtles and Water Monitor Lizard etc.|
|Popular Avifauna of Sundarbans||170 species of endemic brown-winged kingfishers, marsh harriers, Jungle Crows, Green pIgeons, wood Sandpipers, woodpeckers, Little stints, Common Snipes and Golden Plovers etc.|
|Best Time to Visit||November to February|
|Major Rivers||Ganga, Brahmaputra, Meghna and Padma|
|Achievements||Finalist in the New Seven wonders of Nature|